Over-watering!


I think I have falling prey to what now appears to be a common "beginner" mistake. Over-watering. I was always a little unsure of how much to water, but I knew that transplanted seedlings needed a good soaking to reduce the shock of being uprooted. Therefore I soaked everything until it pooled a little in between the trenches in the morning and then when I got home from work at 5 or 6. One pea plant, kale, calendula, squash, cucumbers, eggplant and tomatoes seem to have responded well to this abundance of water, and are growing nicely. However my various types of pepper plants haven't grown at all, even though their counter parts in the peat pots and seedling tray are really starting to take off.

I decided to do a little research and I found out that peppers are supposed to be watered sparingly. Sparingly, what does that mean? The other items I looked up were pretty specific
  • Peas - 1/2" a week
  • Cucumbers - 1" a week
  • Tomato transplants need 16 ounces of warm water per plant every day for the first week
  • Tomato plants need 1 to 3 inches of water weekly or 2 gallons.
So I concluded that I was probably watering about 2" a week and decided that I need to cut down on everything except the tomatoes. We shall see what happens.

Comments

  1. who is the green elf watering your tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a fairy elf - that comes when I am not looking. Interestingly I haven't watered in days and days and with the amount of rain we have been getting I am wondering if everything is fully saturated. I hope to at least a little fruit from this garden :).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment